Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Little Things that Keep you from Pushing the ET Button

During Peace Corps service there are a lot of ups and downs. For example, just dealing with cultural differences can really make you long for the organized, reliable system we have back in the states. The biggest challenge for me has been adjusting to the concept of El Salvador time and the Dios Permite statement.

The El Salvador time is usually gringo time mas half an hour to an hour and a half (say the meeting was scheduled to happen at 1. That means you need to stick around to start your meeting until at least 1:30 but 2 is better). I am not trying to say that this happens only in El Salvador because it doesn’t, and there are times when I am ¨running late¨ and then don’t have to stress because I will arrive on time no matter what time I actually get there. The other phrase that I love here is Si dios permite which basically means, God Willing. This is used all the time for any engagement that requires a commitment. This is a sort of safety net to have just in case something comes up and you can´t make it to a meeting, etc. OR sometimes it is used just in case you don’t actually want to go to something as well. I hope I never use this phrase and it makes me want to grind my teeth every time I hear it.

BUT it is also helping me realize that as a people, United Stateseans are very very hung up on time. The clock controls our everyday activities and we are constantly trying to run around trying to do everything at the exact time it needs to be done. In this respect, I respect the El Salvadorean hora and I am coming to enjoy it and the way of life here much more than that in the states where you constantly have to be checking the time. Sometimes I don’t even know what day of the week it is, let alone what time. I think I am in for a rude awakening when I get back to the states in two years….

So like I was saying in the beginning, it’s the little things you have to focus on to keep going during Peace Corps. Sometimes its noticing how amazingly beautiful all the views are here on my walks around my community. Other times it is hanging out with my best friend (who happens to be 3 years old) and getting her to do our ¨secret handshake.¨ But every day I am able to find at least a couple things that make me stop and say ¨wow I can´t believe I get to live here for two some years¨ and ¨how crazy lucky I am to be here and have this experience.¨ This gets me through the 5 am wakeup call by the roosters, the constant mosquito bites and acne, the smell of burning trash, and other little things that can really tick me off when I am down. SO if you are thinking about joining Peace Corps, just know that you really need to hang on to the moments that take your breath away so you don’t ET (Early Termination) when you feel like you just can´t take it any longer.

1 comment:

  1. Great to keep up on your Peace Corps adventures Sarah! Thank you for sharing. Hugs - Tomi

    ReplyDelete